Rubbish & Curbside
CITYWIDE CURBSIDE SINGLE-STREAM RECYCLING - Information
Rubbish and Curbside
The Board of Health is responsible for regulating the collection, transportation and disposal of garbage, offal and other offensive substances within the community. They also enforce State and Local rules governing residential and commercial solid waste storage and disposal practices and act upon complaints of illegal or improper solid waste disposal.
To report missed refuse or recycling collection please call Capitol Waste at 1-866-569-1718
- Determining Red or Blue Recycling week
Rules and Regulations:
The Board of Health has the following local regulations on file at the Health Department relative to solid waste storage, collection and disposal. Rules and Regulations regarding Litter, Garbage and Refuse adopted 8/11/98. Copies can be obtained in the Health Department in Room 210 of the City Hall.
Residents should know the following:
The Board of Health has a mandatory single stream recycling regulation that requires residents to separate these items from their household trash. single stream recycling will be collected every other week on the same day as the household’s normal trash.
Trash shall not be placed at the curb prior to 4:00pm on the day before the scheduled collection, and must be out by 6:00am the day of collection. Legal holidays will delay pickup by one day.
- Outside storage of household trash must be in watertight containers with tight fitting lids.
- The amount taken from each dwelling unit shall not exceed three (3) thirty five (35) gallon trash bags/containers. The maximum amount to be collected from each residential lot shall not exceed twenty four (24) thirty five (35) gallon trash bags/containers. Residences with more than the allowed amount will be required to provide private pick up. Any other household equipment not excessive in bulk or greater than 50 lbs in weight, which can be handled by two men, will be accepted provided it is not a Department of Environmental Protection banned waste.
Refuse containers must be removed from the curb by 11:59 PM the day of collection.
Residents are responsible for picking up loose trash left at the curb after collection.
Dried out latex paint and empty paint cans can be disposed of in your regular household trash
Oil based paints must be disposed of at the Bi-Annual Hazardous Waste Collection Event for information please call 978-423-1977
- Alkaline Batteries can be disposed of in your regular household trash - Nicad batteries and Rechargeable batteries can be dropped off at the Recycling Center - 500 Primrose St - Wed or Sat 8 - 1
The following items are banned from being placed in the trash. If placed out for collection they will be left at the curb. Please call the Health Department or check our recycling page to find out where they can be recycled and disposed of:
- Air Conditioner
- Fluorescent Light Fixtures
- Waste Oil
- Leaves and yard waste
- Automobiles bodies
- Commercial or Industrial Waste
- Car Batteries
- NiCad Batteries
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Chain Link Fence
- Demolition Debris
- Metals and Iron
The above is just a partial list of banned materials.